15 January 2008

I’m not ready to make nice

If you’re kind, people will abuse you! It’s a human nature that people usually abuse those who are kind to them. Filipinos are generally brought up to be kind to everybody. In the olden days it’s applicable and even encouraged but in a globalized world, it’s archaic. Being kind (or pretending to be) is one of the reasons why the Filipino nation is still backward. That’s why as much as possible, you shouldn’t be kind, but not really mean. You should set a boundary so that people will know where to place themselves. If you feel that somebody is taking advantage of you, you should tell that person right away. Hurting his/her feeling should be the least of your concern. You should look after yourself and your welfare first before them.

I gave Ali, the Indian guy who works in our Admin Department a good scolding yesterday. I asked for 100 pieces of A4 size envelopes but he talks too much. He was saying that they’re gonna charge our department and a lot of stuff. This is what I told him. “Ali, if you want to charge those envelopes to us, charge it. I don’t care because it wouldn’t be charge to me but to my department. You talk too much!”

I went to Fahad Supplies yesterday afternoon (lunch time) to buy some snacks. I gave the cashier a new 50 SR bill but changed me with a defective 5 SR. Naturally I asked him to change it into something good. The Indian guy pointed his fingers on me and told me that I’m a causing him a problem everyday and said a lot of stuff. I walked out of the groceries because there are a lot of people and I don’t want to cause a scene. After 10 minutes I came back to the grocery store and confronted the Indian guy. I asked him why he’s so rude to me? What does he think he is? I was so mad at him that I gave him a good scolding. He couldn’t face me because he’s afraid of me and I’ve already said too much. I don’t know if he understands me because he doesn’t event speak English. I don’t want to be a racist but the situation calls for it. I mean, I am a respected person in my workplace and a mere ITIK would insult and embarrass me in front of other people. I got so mad that I even spoke to the manager (Abdullah Basi) and complained to that guy. Indians are really hard to deal with. Based from experience, they will think highly of themselves and if you allow them, they will put you down. However, if you stand your ground and fight back, they will be afraid of you and in turn will respect you.

Why should I be nice to people who are not nice at all. That’s why I really love the Dixie Chix song “I’m not ready to make nice”.

No comments: