15 November 2009

Hillary visits the Philippines

I’ve always been a fan of Hillary Clinton. I was so distraught when she lost her bid for the presidency at the Democratic Party primaries. Even when she’d moved on, I still could not. Nevertheless, I am very happy for her. Her current role as America’s diplomatic czar suits her well. She’s the only redeeming figure in the now unpopular Obama administration. Obama as you all know, is ALL TALK. Probably, he’s the best ORATOR of our times. He’s intelligent, right, but he could not deliver. He could not close a deal. That’s the point of Hillary during the preliminaries! Obama could not close a deal.

Hillary the ever diplomatic woman would of course, wouldn’t say a word against the Obamas. She will just perform her duties as the Secretary of State. After all, that portfolio is the most visible and most sought after portfolio in the American politics.

My close friends are asking about my fascination with the Clintons. I would usually shrug off their questions without really addressing it. The funny thing is, I really don’t know. Hillary radiates something that I couldn’t explain. She has this larger than life persona and she’s strong. Maybe, I just admire her because she’s a strong woman.

I’ve watched the coverage of Hillary’s visit to the evacuation center in Manila. The mood there is filled with excitement as children meet Hillary Rodham Clinton in person. She’s like a movie star and people there were all fascinated. We’ve been visited before by diplomats and royalties but we’re never like this. Hillary can make an ordinary visit extraordinary. Did we really care about the purpose of her visit? I guess we don’t. For us, her visit is enough because for once, it made us special, it warmed our hearts.

No comments: