18 January 2010

My Lord and my God

The Highest Court of Malaysia, truly Asia released a ruling that allows non Muslims to call their God Allah. It sparks a violent protest as Muslim extremist burned down churches and religious. Religious leaders in Malaysia are saying that allowing non Muslims to call their God ‘Allah’ will diminish and erode people’s faith.

I really don’t agree that allowing Christians and Non-Muslims to call their God ‘Allah’ will erode the faith of our Muslims brothers. Our faith is within us regardless of our religion. If we’re really true to our religion, nobody could really influence us to change our hearts.

Malaysia is one of the most diversely populated countries in the World. I think that extremist individuals are just using the issue to divide this beautiful nation that withstood a number of sectarian violence in the past. It’s really up to their people on what road they want to take in the future.

In passing, a friend of mine asked me if I would want to call my God ‘Allah’. I told him that I’ll just call him my Lord and my God. I believe that there is only one God. No matter what our Catholic faith has thought us, I believe that there’s only one GOD. It is obviously contrary to the teachings of Catholics that believes in 3-in-1 (trinity) God.

---- oo0 ----

When I was still in High School, my English teacher Mrs. Sonia Galila stressed that the G in God should always be capitalized. It’s a general rule in English she said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you (except for the Trinity because I totally believe it).

Alam kaya nila na ang iba pang tawag ng mga lumang Pilipino sa Panginoon ay 'Bathala' which is a derivative of 'Allah'?

Esoy1216 said...

Hi Toto Brags!

I've read articles about that, and my first reaction was - napakababaw nila to burn churches just because of that. Alam mo madali akong manggigil sa mga ganitong klaseng pag-iisip - but as much as possible I want to refrain from commenting deeper kase baka madami magreact.

Nonetheless the only assurance we could get is- our Creator the God whom we believe is a God of order, He is not a God of chaos, of wrath, of anger and of division. He is slow to anger but rich in compassion. He doesn't look at religion but at our relationship with Him. Ephesians 2:8,9 says, "For it is by grace that you have been saved, not of your works, so that no man should boast."