16 January 2010

Dinagyang 2010

It’s has been a decade since I last witnessed the Dinagyang Festival in Iloilo City. I admit that it’s one of the events that I missed most. The Dinagyang Festival is celebrated every fourth Sunday of January. It’s supposed to be celebrated every 3rd Sunday of January in honor of the patron saint Senior Santo Niño of Cebu. However, by tradition, the Santo Niño of Cebu has to grace the Dinagyang Festival. The priests of the Order of San Agustin have to delay it for one week for logistic reasons.

Based from the write ups and the firsthand account of my friends and family, Dinagyang has become one of the most awaited tourism events in the country. What Dinagyang sets apart from its rival festivals in the country is its superb performance, world class choreography and colorful costumes. Dinagyang Festival also has several events before the proper Dinagyang Festival such as the Food Fest, and the Kasadyahan Festival.

As you all know, Ilonggos love to eat so the Food Festival is one of the most awaited event in Iloilo. Baw kanamit guid. My sister also told me that most of the bands that play in Dinagyang nowadays are Manila based.

The Kasadyahan Festival on the other hand is a pre Ati-Ati event. It consists of dancing and themed performances. It’s even said that the Kasadyahan Festival cannot even be compared to Cebu’s Sinulog, Davao’s Kadayawan or Bacolod’s Masskara.

I really missed the Dinagyang Festival. I missed the merry making and the food festival. I promised myself that I’ll be in the future Dinagyang Festivals. To my fellow Ilonggos from the world over to enjoy the Dinagyang Festival. Hala Bira!

No comments: