08 September 2009

Beboy Baboy

Aside from my mother’s love, pork is the one thing I really missed here in the Kingdom of the Sands. I have to admit that there was a point where I would instantly throw up when I see chicken or beef viands. I missed pork because pork is not available in the market. You’re lucky if you’re in Bahrain or the UAE because you can buy it in selected shops but you’re unfortunate if you’re in the Kingdom of the Sands.

What’s with the Filipino love affair with the pork? Pork is served in almost all restaurants in the country, except of course, if the restaurants are owned by a Muslim or SDA. Pork is almost always present in Pinoy celebrations such as Baptism, Birthdays, Fiestas, Wedding, Christmas holidays or any other holidays that we Filipino can think of. It can be cooked whole, like what they are doing with the pinoy famous lechon, fried, stewed, or any kind of Filipino dishes.

But the thing with pork is that, it’s almost always the cause of all diseases because of its saturated fats. Hypertensive people are always warned by their doctors to avoid pork. Pinoys are however stubborn that they’ll just say yes to what their doctors are saying but would still eat pork anyway. Nasa bawal ang sarap ika nga. Did it ever alarm me that the pork is the cause of all illnesses? The answer is NO. Even the well publicized Swine Flu could not deter me from eating it. My argument is that I only get to eat pork during my annual vacation.

No comments: