01 April 2010

Lenten Observance

I never really expected that it’s already the Lenten season. You tend to be out of touch with the realities when you’re here in the Kingdom of the Sands. Here they don’t celebrate the lent so you won’t know that it’s already celebrated in most of the western and Christian countries. I’m a non practicing Catholic by choice and by circumstances. It’s a choice because of my frustrations with the people running the Universal Church and by circumstances since it’s already given that I’m in an Islamic country.


Yesterday, my friend and I went for a lunch out in Chili’s at the Mall of Dhahran. I even ate tenderloin steak with shrimp. I know that for others, it’s not just unacceptable but it’s a selfish cultivation of a human want in the season of lent. I know that most people don’t like excuses but I want to make excuses too … I’m just human … LOL. Besides, I just received a hefty bonus and want to splurge, just once to my human desire. Egotistical isn’t it?

It didn’t end there though. I also have a dinner appointment with another friend and eat our hearts out with pastas at the Pasta Italia Fresco. We leave very full when we left Rashid Mall. Today, a Maundy Thursday, I have another invitation from a friend who just turned one year with our company. I don’t want to disappoint and refuse an invitation.

My mother, a very religious woman and the rest of Filipino people may not agree on how we live our lives here outside the country but the reality is, this is how an OFW live.

4 comments:

Jag said...

Have a blessed holy week na lng parekoy!

Long live the OFW's!!!

Francesca said...

I agree with you to do good to your self. It is because it is Lentens season, that every christian must stop spending or treating themselves to good stuffs.

What for? The bible didnt say we cannot eat meat on holy week, nor we dont engage in sex or go to have fun!

The bible speaks of commemorating the death of Jesus Christ, thats true,and it can be, in a sincere prayer in our room, alone, in prayer, that we accept Him as The Redemptor of our sins, is already a good thing to Him and His Father.

Good deed, I would love to have a steak too.

Wish ko sana tigilan na ang unbiblical tradition, para free na tayo sa unwanted guilt.

braggito said...

@Francesca
Ate, marami kasing mga tao na iba ang interpretation sa bible. Laging labis at hindi naman talaga nakasaad.

@jag
blessed holy week and happy easter!!

Anonymous said...

No harm there I think. Last Wednesday, we had broasted and pancit too. Hehe.

Hindi ang ating kinakain ang nakapagpaparumi ng ating spirit; it's what comes out of it.

Bakit hindi ako nakatikim ng bonus? Hhmmm...I'd be happy to dine with you at Baguette. (Kapal ko ba? Di ko pa rin nakakainan un. Curious lang ako).

Congrats, Braggart, and happy Easter!!! To you and you family.

BTW, hope you can visit our newly-launched Kablogs Journal. Thx.