04 December 2011

Victimized

My friend’s nephew Jong, a newbie in the Kingdom of the Sands was recently victimized by a fellow Kabayan. Last Ramadan (August 2011), he met the Kabayan who was very friendly and kwela. Since he is a newbie in the Kingdom, they instantly became barkada. The Kabayan asked a favor if he can lend Jong’s Driver’s license so he can rent a car. Jong willingly lent his driver’s license without ever doubting the character of Kabayan.

The whole thing was out of his mind. The last thing he learned was that the Kabayan moved to another place. He was just surprised one day when the Car Rental agency called him. The Car rental told him that he should settle his bills. Unknown to him, the Kabayan never surrendered the car and for more than three (3) months did not pay a single halala (cent) to the Car Rental agency. The sad thing is the car was leased to Jong. To the Car Rental agency, Jong is liable to pay the amount.

About two weeks ago, Jong asked me for an advice on how he should deal with his problem. I told him that he should report the matter to the police. The police can track the whereabouts of the car rented should they decide to conduct check points. Besides, the rental will snowball if the matter is not reported to the police. How the hell can Jong a low salaried man afford to pay for the rent? The last figure he gave me was SR. 2,950.00, approximately 3 times the salary he’s receiving monthly.

He asked if I can help in solving his problem which to me is to lend him some money. I however told him that I can only give him words of comfort. Well, I did give him SR. 100.00, something that can make him feel better but I can never give him SR. 2,950.00.

I asked Jong’s uncle if what he’s doing to help the kid out. He was upset about Jong and decided not to talk to him. He says that it’s better than scolding the poor kid who was obviously victimized by that unscrupulous Kabayan.

Last night I was able to chat with Jong on FB and he was still tuliro. Who could blame him? He’s facing the biggest problem of his life. How the hell can he pay that amount? I’ve tried talking to Jong’s uncle that he should be more understanding. It was obviously Jong’s fault for trusting too much without even checking the person’s character. I told him the situation should serve as a lesson to him.

No comments: