02 May 2011

Wedding of the Decade

I’ve watched the extensive coverage of the Royal Wedding through BBC 1 last friday. I must admit that I was fascinated by the beauty and pageantry of the event. The Brits knows how to strut their stuff as they say. The bride looks like a real princess, although The Queen never bestowed the title ‘Princess’ to her. Instead, she was granted title as Duchess of Cambridge. Nevertheless, she was a beautiful bride. Prince William on the other hand has no matinee idol looks or appeal. In fact, his younger brother looks better and registers better in the TV than him. But since he’s the heir to the throne, despite having the unfortunate balding hair, he’s still attractive to some.

I’ve watched several comments over the BBC about their dislike for the monarchy and their criticism on the enormous amount that David Cameron’s government spent on the wedding. I ignored it and so were the Brits who just enjoyed the event. The UK was able to capitalize on their monarchy and made it one of their tourist attractions. People the world over are also interested and fascinated in them. Prince Harry’s rock star status is just an example. The new Duchess will certainly have her place in the history and I doubt that she’ll be the next Princess Diana, target to paparazzi and tabloid press. She’s in her early 30s and wiser I guess than when Princess Diana married Charles.

For five hours I’ve forgotten my own problems, the world peace, hunger in Africa, the Arab World Awakening and just enjoyed the show as it unfolded in my TV. I was even moved when the bride walked down the aisle (LOL).

No comments: