11 May 2011

Flores de Mayo memories

When I was a child, my Aunt whose husband works for the then PC-INP at the Camp Delgado in Iloilo City would often bring us to the Flores de Mayo organized by the spouses of the PC-INP personnel. As a child, you don’t attend a Flores de Mayo because you feel like going but because you don’t have a choice. Adults often impose their beliefs on their children or extended family members. I could not forget the agonizing wait for the novena to be over. I could not also forget the torture of kneeling until the novena is over.

The only fond memory that I can think of during the Flores de Mayo is the food that the PC-INP Spouses prepares and that’s it. I however, regretted being unable to go with my family to SM Delgado. My family don’t dictate us whether we want to participate in Flores de Mayo or not. For my parents, there’s no issue if you go or not. They also have the same opinion on going to the Church on Sundays. Don’t get me wrong but my mother’s active in the church.

The point in writing this entry is that sometimes, adults imposing their beliefs to their children or extended family could be an abuse issue. I would never force my child, nephews or nieces on the things or activities that they don’t like. The abuse would be from the context that you force the child to kneel which is by the way, very painful if you do it on an extended period. You could also be abusing the child because of the boredom that you subjected him / her into. Leaving the child without the choice is also a form of abuse.

I’ve watched the movie Matilda and the old man would often say:

“I’m big, you’re small”.

“I’m smart, you’re dumb”.

“And there’s nothing you can do about it”.

Forcing children to do the stuff that they don’t like is bullying and therefore a child abuse.


2 comments:

Francesca said...

discipline is a form of love. But has its limits. I am a disciplinarian, because I love my children. I was born catholic, but when I discovered the hypocrisy of the false teachings, I quit. I am now a Jehovah's Witness and I teach the bible to my children, but never impose them to be one. Religion is to be discussed in the family, but not imposed and supposed to be a burden, it has to be from our hearts to serve God.

braggito said...

@Ms. A.
Children should be disciplined for them to become better human beings. However, parents has a very difficult task especially if they're toeing in the thin line between discipline and imposing what they think is right to their offsprings. In the end though, regardless of what process they've used, it would still boil down to the 'Pagkatao' of their children.