08 August 2012

I don’t know what to say…

Yesterday, my enrollment to the Fall 2012 SHRM Program / SPHR Live Classes was finalized.  As a requisite to raising a request for payment for the course fee, I’m required to sign a training agreement.  Since I’m the one who prepares for the training agreement, I put 1 year as the service requirement.  My immediate boss, right away signed the training agreement. 
In raising the Request for payment though, I need the signature of the Functional Head or our VP.  He quizzed me why the service agreement was only for one year.  I told him that as far as I know, that’s the standard service agreement to all employees.  He said that’s not acceptable.  It should be 4 years for me.  I told him that it’s too much.  He finally said that three years would do.  I told him it’s still unfair.  He walked out and went to my immediate superior where he was told that two years would be fair.
I really don’t mind signing for two years.  It’s just that why only me?  That’s my usual question if I’m in this kind of situation.  Bakit sila pwede sa akin hindi?  Ano ang pinagkaiba nila sa akin? I just kept my mouth shut since I was looking forward to learning more from the training. 
During the time when I was still reporting to our Functional Head (VP), he never sent me to any training.  He never did. He would support other non-deserving people but not me.  I was supposed to attend to the Psychometric Testing Certification Programs with SHL before in Cairo and Abu Dhabi but I missed all those because of him.  Now that I’m not reporting directly to him, I still feel that he doesn’t want me to learn new skills. 
It’s not really a big issue but I don’t think I can be blamed for thinking this way.  I really thought that like other employees, I deserved to be sent to programs that would help me bring in new skills.  It’s just ironic that I’m an HR Professional, we’re helping employees to identify their Individual Development Programs (IDPs) yet, here’s our boss, trying to block any training opportunities for me.
Anyways, he signed the Request for Payment and that the most important thing.  Once the payment is made, I’ll have to get my materials so I can start with my pre-readings.

No comments: