23 June 2012

I love your smile 

A newbie in the Kingdom of the Sands told me yesterday while we’re chatting that his impression of me was that I looked like a Chinese businessman whose ready to do business, has an imposing presence and with an unsmiling face.  It was a funny but realistic observation.  I‘m Chinese and I don’t really smile, at least in the workplace.  But that’s just the image that I sell to people. 
There are a lot of reasons why I seldom smile in the workplace.  Being in the Kingdom of the Sands for a decade really changed me in a lot.  I would like to believe that the changes were all in positive ways.  I used to smile a lot since I was exposed early in customer service industry.  I never realized that in Arab Culture, you just don’t smile at people, particularly on people whom you don’t know.  Smiling at people whom you don’t know could mean you like (fancy) them.  It could be a cause of being misinterpreted.   I tell you, it could lead to a lot of unpleasant things like harassment. 
In the West, or at least in the Philippines, it’s rude to talk to people in you can’t maintain an eye contact.  In contrast, in the Kingdom of the Sands, or at least in the Middle East, you just don’t look at the people in the eyes.  It’s another cause of being misinterpreted that can lead to a lot of unpleasant things.  As a compromise, you can look at his forehead just so you won’t appear rude.
The Arabs knows how long a Pinoy’s been in the Kingdom just by looking at him.  What set the newbies apart are their smiling faces.  Old timers here like me seldom smiles.
I have nothing against people who smiles a lot.  It means that they’re positive people with positive dispositions.  I also smile and had a lot of fun when I’m with friends.  I can crack jokes at any time so I also think that I’m funny.  It’s just that I don’t wear a smile in the workplace.  By not smiling I’ve gained credibility and authority.  People took me more seriously especially that I’m in the field of Human Resources.  You can still be sympathetic, empathic, friendly and caring without smiling.  But you just don’t smile at the workplace.

No comments: