10 February 2009

Smoking and Mortality

I don’t want to be preachy because in the first place I am not a priest or a pastor. In the past week, without intending to, I’ve read in the paper and watched in the TV the topic that I always dreaded, SMOKING. I was once a chain smoker. I started smoking when I was 16 but I had to quit at 24. It was the most difficult struggle that I’ve gone through and I don’t want to go through that again. My late father was a certified chain smoker. He could puff several cigars in one day. He died in other illness not related to smoking.

According to experts, smoking poses serious health threats. It is widely accepted to be the cause of deaths worldwide. I have no factual statistics in my hands but millions around the world and thousand in the Philippines die due to smoking related illnesses. Smoking is the major cause of diseases like acute bronchitis, emphysema, cancer of the nose, pharynx, larynx, lungs, other types of heart diseases and stroke.

Aside from the direct inhalation effect of the smoke there are research that confirmed that second and third hand smoke are equally harmful to people. So if the head of the family is smoking, he is not only risking his own health but the health of his whole family (his wife and children).

It is no wonder why a lot of major cities in the EU and US ban smoking in public places. In the Philippines, smoking is ban in Davao. When you are boarding any flights to Davao, PAL and other carriers will warn you that Davao is a smoke free City.

The Doctors show (aired over MBC4) last night showcased the electronic cigar that doesn’t harm men’s health. It’s the latest technology that helps people to quit smoking. I don’t know if it will work. As an ex-smoker the only thing that could help smokers quit: PATIENCE, PERSEVERANCE and STRONG WILL.

2 comments:

Nebz said...

I'm a smoker but I'm glad all airlines are now non-smoking, that there are specific areas designated for smoking (hindi ung palakad-lakad habang nagyoyosi).

Happy valentine!

Anonymous said...

I don't smojking and I think that smoking is better. But your site/blog is beautifull and your sarcasm is good. Regards from Venezuela
Saludos desde Venezuela www.lapatriagrande.net