07 February 2009

Single Senior-hood

A well thought out article of Alya Honasan was forwarded to me by a friend hit home. The article talks about how one prepare for single senior-hood. Though I got married before, my wife and I separated after 3 months of being together. We never had a kid and the marriage was a mistake even before it even started. We were too young then and underage. The only thing that made it right was that the mayor who officiated the wedding failed to register it. Since that failed I vowed not to be tied into a relationship again. Who doesn’t dream of raising their own family? I am however happy where I am right now, young, free and single.

Alya gives out the following advice for Singles who are at the prime of their lives:

Don’t ever, ever assume you will be somebody else’s problem.
You must manage your resources exceptionally well.
You must have medical insurance.
Nurture relationships with friends in the same boat.
Get your personal network in place.

For me, there’s only one thing that a person who plan to spend his lifetime as a single should prepare, MONEY. If you have money, you don’t need the mercy of your nephew and nieces for them to take care of you. You can hire a nurse who will willingly wipe your ass for money. Don’t get married if your reason is you wanted someone to take care of you. That’s self serving and selfish.

No comments: