17 March 2013

Pope Francis I

Pope Francis I


I label myself as a returning Catholic.  There was a point in my life that I just don’t want anything to do with the faith where I was brought up.  However, I’ve realized that you can’t get away with who you are and you just have to accept that, I guess.  My near death experience from the past changed everything including my perspective on faith and life.  I however believe that there’s only one God, and to some, that’s a cafeteria Catholicism where you just choose whatever you like on your faith.

The 2013 conclave to elect a new Pope was not as emotional as it was during the 2005 conclave.  I think it’s partly because the Pope Emeritus did not die, he just retired.  I was so looking forward to see the ceremony, the smoke on the chimney and all.  I was not disappointed because despite how wired our current world is, the Vatican did not fail us in staging the biggest pageantry of the year, the proclamation of its new pope.

I wasn’t disappointed when Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio was selected by the College of Cardinals.  He’s the first Jesuits and the first Pope from the Americas.  It would have been nice if they selected an African or an Asian Pope but I was happy nevertheless that he didn’t come from the powerful Roman Curia (or Italian).  The new pope is a humble man who has compassion to serve his people. 

I pray to God that He will help Pope Francis in dispensing his duties to his religious flock.

No comments: