16 December 2012

Christmas Carolers in Al Khobar


No matter how good your intentions are, please remember that we’re in Saudi Arabia.  There are rules here that we should obey.  If you don’t want to obey their customs and traditions, better pack your bags, do the country a favor and leave. 

We were waiting for our orders last Friday night at Gusto Restaurant in Al Khobar (besides As Salama Hospital) when suddenly a group of Filipinos entered the restaurant and started singing Christmas songs.  One of their companions, a lady started distributing an envelope asking for donation, allegedly for the medical mission.   I was so shocked at first. It took me awhile to regain my composure.  When I realized what was happening, I went to the cashier attendant and told him that what the kabayans are doing are not good and even he will be in trouble.  I felt the need to go out of the restaurant so I drag D and waited outside.

Outside, I saw their look out, a bardagones (big, fat, tall man) and I shouted at him.  I told him that what they’re doing is not good.  They’re endangering themselves and also other innocent Filipinos.  He was explaining that theirs was a noble cause and that the proceeds of their caroling go to medical mission.  I told him that we’re in Saudi Arabia and caroling is a big no-no.  It’s against the law for goodness sake!  The police will never listen to your reasons no matter how noble it is.

I’m not exaggerating that if they’re caught caroling, they could end up in jail.  What if the Mutaw (Religious Police) were following them?  Everyone will be in trouble including all the Kabayans who happens to be in the Restaurant when they were singing Christmas carols. 

D. remembered that last year, the same people knocked at our door to do the caroling.  I think they’re doing it for the sake of their pockets and not really for medical missions.  It’s just so obvious that they just want money from unsuspecting people.  If we’re in the Philippines, they can do all the caroling they want.  But we’re in Saudi Arabia for goodness sake!  If they can’t live with it, they better pack their bags and leave before the Mutawa could actually catch them.

I just couldn’t get these people!  I called up the POLO – Eastern Province and reported the incident. They said that the Ambassador has already issued a guideline on that. POLO – Eastern Province has also received several reports regarding carolers but says that they just couldn’t do anything about it if people would not follow the guideline.  The worst thing that could happen to them is being jailed.  

1 comment:

Esoy1216 said...

You're right, they could get jailed for that. No matter how good their intentions are, they're just endangering themselves. Yet im not convinced, before you know it they might be laughing their way to the nearest remittance center, opinion lang hehe.

Merry Christmas!