31 March 2012

Pinoy and the Crab Mentality

I’ve never in my entire life expected that one day I’ll also be a victim of the Filipino crab mentality.  I mean, I’ve heard and read about it and a lot of my acquaintances have experienced it.  I just don’t think that it’ll happen to me.  But I was wrong.
 

Last week, for several days, a grumpy old Pinoy colleague of mine has been heckling me.  I just ignored it but last Wednesday, that’s the last day of our workweek here in the Kingdom of the Sands, he heckled me again.  That night, I retaliated and talked back saying that ‘Whatever it is, INGGIT lang iyan’.  Then the argument started.  However, the heckler came unprepared because the moment he raises an argument, I’d always say that the bottom line of his argument is INGGIT.  Since he run out of anything to throw to me because I would always go back to INGGIT kasi  INGGITERA ka, he resorted to name calling.  As what the respected Ilongga Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago would always say, rules on debate says no to name calling, argument should always be in the merit of the issue. 

It’s funny how some people would wage war without considering the consequences of their actions.  They never ever thought that their enemies might be ready for the face off.  I’ve mellowed recently, owning to the fact that I’ve matured a little but it doesn’t mean to say that I’ve lost my courage.  That grumpy old pinoy colleague of mine wanted war and I gave it to me.  I don’t have the habit of retreating to the war that I did not wage in the first place.  There are times when a man has to stand up and I did.  Basing on the merit of the arguments and my composure during the argument, Andrew says that hands down, I won the battle.
 

I will never apologize for all the blessings that I received today but I’m always thankful to God and to all the people who made it happen.  I will never apologize because I’ve worked hard for it.  I’m a humble person and I always remind myself not to be arrogant.  If the blessings that I receive offended some people, I will still not apologize for it.  I’ve been through hell last year and maybe, what I’m receiving now is God’s way of saying that ‘Son, I love you and I’ll always be on your side’. 
 

The thoughtless words that Pinoy colleague of mine uttered did not hurt me the least.  Words cannot hurt me anymore.  I’ve been through hell before and I’ve been through the worst.  I’m stronger than they think.  I stood up that day and I’m proud of myself. 

2 comments:

Francesca said...

rah rah rah, itaya ang integridad ng mga bisaya!

minsan, we have to stand for righteousness, mag sikap din kasi sila; Meron din ganun sa work, but i just lt things go, kasi one day, MAKAKARMA DIN ANG MAKAKARMA, even without us lifting a finger; Di ba?

ok, nyt na, midnight na dito sa pransya, lol

braggito said...

thank you Ms. A. for the kind words. God bless you.