21 November 2010

Superman No More

I really thought that I was going to stay young and strong forever. It never occurred to me that like the rest of us, I’m just a human being and I’m no superman. I started working very young and I never stopped working since then.
I never thought that a simple consultation with the doctor would be a nightmare. The doctor diagnosed me with a lung infection. In Saudi Arabia, lung infections are treated like a high risk disease that infected individuals are held in the hospital until they’re fully treated. So, like the rest of the guys whose lungs are infected, I have to endure being in the isolation room. Yes, I am currently in the isolation room like a political prisoner. I didn’t know that it’s going to be this hard being sick in Saudi Arabia. To begin with, this is the first time that I was actually admitted in the hospital. So, needles and I.V.’s are very new to me. When you’re sick here, you have no one to turn to but your close friend. He has to do all the errands that you left behind for you. In my case, I never thought that I’m going to be held here forever so I haven’t prepared anything.

The event of last week makes me look back and reflect on what I did with my life during the past 10 years. For the last 10 years or so, I’ve worked my butt off to provide for my family. I think I forgot to take things slowly and that’s the reason why I am in the hospital today. I was never late, absent or sick and I am always a constant fixture in the office. People turn and look for me when they could not see anyone else. I got so used to the daily grind that I forgot to relax and unwind. Believe it or not, I would usually go for a 2-3 week vacation every year and would not even remember if I enjoyed it or not. Yes, it sad but I think I forgot about myself. Works is good but I forgot myself in the process. I forgot to leave something for myself and in the end, I have no other to blame but myself.

It is never too late to change so my resolve after this ordeal is to take all things easy. I decided to take a 15 day vacation back home just to relax. I won’t be spending anything. It’s not going to be grand. I’ll just go home to take my badly needed rest and be with my family. It’s also the right time to pay tribute to the dead in my family. I also promised myself to cut my sugar and carbohydrate intake and of course, lose at least 10 more kilograms. In about a week, I am hopeful that the doctors will give me a clean bill of health. I pray for my speedy recovery.

2 comments:

Esoy1216 said...

Sorry to hear that you're ill. As you said the daily grind of work demands has taken its toll on you. Basi may contribution pa dira ang sadiqi kon gatilaw ka man ginagmay. Kag importante guid na bawasan mo carb intake mo kay halit ina sa lawas kon masobrahan.

Enjoy na lang sa bakasyon mo. Hope youre ok already by the time you read this. God bless.

braggito said...

@NFB

Thanks gid 'To.