04 August 2010

Another Death in the Family

I’ve learned to accept the fact that death could really strike us anytime. It’s not something that we can predict except of course in cases where there’s a prolonged and incurable illness where death is already given.

My Tito Romy, my mother’s younger brother passed away last night (3 August 2010). Four years ago he was admitted into the ICU because of heart ailment. The doctors advised the family that he should undergo a heart bypass operation within a year. They couldn’t heed the doctor’s advice then because of monetary issue. It took them three years to actually raise the money, thanks to his daughter (My cousin) who married an American man in Oregon. When they had the money, My Tito decided that the money is better spent in buying farm lands. He said that bypass or not, he’s still going to die anyway. And then he died, suddenly, I guess suddenly is not the appropriate word since it’s already an anticipated death.

My sister Bam said that mom cried a ton of tears. I can’t blame her, who wouldn’t cry when you lost your brother. I didn’t cry though. I don’t know if I’m insensitive to my Tito’s death or what but I just couldn’t summon the feelings of mourning. I think it’s because I wasn’t really close to him. There was never an opportunity for us to be closer. He’s a good man though but I really didn’t feel anything. I’ll be patient and wait for a day or two if I can feel my family’s pain while praying for the eternal repose of his soul.

3 comments:

Jag said...

nakikiramay po...

Francesca said...

OH DEAR, another death.Condolences to your family. Siguro kaya ganun ang feelings mo, because you became realistic na, that death comes, whether we like it or not.pareho tayo. When someone we love dies, I concentrate on how the person enjoyed his life than thinking, he is gone.
More appeasing.

braggito said...

@Jag

@Francesca

thank you guys.