20 July 2010

A feather in a cap or just another headache?

As part of the strategic communications plan of our company, an intranet portal for our group was identified. An intranet portal pops up every time we open our PCs kaya lang it’s not ours. Hindi sa amin but it’s owned by our publicly listed company. We really don’t have anything to do with their intranet portal except to click on the link whenever we file for a leave and vacation. When the project was identified, my boss designated me as the Project Coordinator for the Group’s Intranet Project.

I wasn’t too happy when I was designated as the Project Coordinator for the Intranet project since it means another big responsibility and it’s not even included in my KPIs. For a company whose performance management program is KPI based talo ka talaga kasi all your hardwork will not be noticed. It will not even be indicated or included in your Job description.

I’ve always been identified by the functional heads in our company whenever there’s a special project that needs to be done. I know the hard work that intranet project entails since I’ve also been through a lot with being the Project Coordinator for other special projects before i.e. the Corporate Website, Real Estate Website and the Career Portal. It would have been great if that’s the only thing I do but I also have several HR tasks such as Recruitment, Training and Development and other HR Projects.

It took at least two years for the project to be realized. We begun by identifying intranet developers and we end up with a company in India called AS. Wag ismulin because AS provides services to US based intranet developers. Wais na itong mga US based companies, they’ll outsource the development in India and charge their clients in the States twice or thrice as much. We decided to just contact AS directly to save cost. We’ve also decided on the intranet structure, design and then the content. The easiest thing to do is filling in the content.

Last Sunday, I was so happy to learn that the intranet project is almost over. We’ve made progress and we even set the launching date on 26 July 2010. My hard work was not put into waste and I can finally see my baby. I also thought that my project based work will be over. However, my boss decided to nominate me as the intranet administrator (nagtitipid sa manpower?). I underwent to a one (1) day intensive administrator’s training with the intranet consultants. I can’t back out any more. The consultants told me that being an intranet admin is a full time job and they think that I should be rewarded financially. A friend of mine said to brush off any negative thoughts and think that it’s another feather in a cap. Sagot ko naman ‘Another feather in a cap or just another headache? I need cash for goodness sake!’

1 comment:

Francesca said...

SALARY INCREASE na kasunod nyan.