02 June 2010

Saudi Embassy Memo on Third Sex

Last Thursday, I received the Saudi Embassy Memo on Third Sex from a forwarded email by ISD, our Philippine Agent in Manila. I wasn’t at all surprised because I’m working in Human Resources Department. The memo of the Saudi Embassy in Manila is not new to us all. It’s just a reminder because apparently, some of the companies and their respective agencies have forgotten the rules. It’s given that homosexuality is forbidden in the Islamic religion. Our company has kept its mouth shut on this issue because we have people who are openly gay in our organization. Some of them are occupying executive and managerial positions down to administrative and clerical level.

Nobody has the right to question this Saudi ruling not even the militants and the irresponsible media like the ABiaS CBN. Protesting to this ruling only means that they’re ignorant of the fact that Saudi Arabia is an Islamic country. Their jurisprudence, laws and culture do not tolerate homosexuality. People have the choice whether or not they’d like to work in Saudi Arabia. If they choose to work here, they should abide by the rules.

I think the new rule is just for effeminates and openly gay people because there’s no use in typecasting and stereotyping them. It’s subjective to identify gay people basing on how they look. Believe it or not, gay people have mutated through time. Nowadays, you would see Metrosexuals or the Paminta (pa-men). They’re not the stereotypical gay people so how can the job interviewers and even the Embassy officials know that they’re not gay?

As I’ve said, the new rules is probably only for effeminates and screaming gay people. You may disagree with me but there are times that gay people in Al Khobar are already too much. Their hairs are dyed, faces with tons of foundations. There are even those whose faces are hyper pigmented because of too much use of maxi peel. Some of them are too loud and are attracting undue attentions not just from the fellow kabayans, Saudis, but the mutawas as well. Iyong nakakabastos na pagmumukha na ba. You can be gay and keep a low profile.

Would I still hire gay people? Well, as an HR Professional, I would still base my assessment on the competency of the candidate over his sexual orientation. I just would like to be assured though that he’ll behave properly in the office. I’d like to see his face first before I can pass my judgment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, have received an email about this press release letter. Who hasn't?

At marami na ring akong nabasang email comments about this.

Marami namang bawal sa Saudi e: bawal ang alak, sugal, pakikiapid sa hindi asawa, baboy, pirated movies, etc.

But...(ikaw na ang magtuloy).

I agree with your point na minsan nga sobra na ang mga kababayan nating Pinoy. I hope we always bear in mind that whatever we do -- be it good or bad -- reflects not only our own being but our being a Filipino as well.