13 October 2008

OFWs and Economic Downturn

I came home from my rushed annual leave. My vacation only lasted 3 weeks. I meet up with friends in Manila during my last day of stay. We went to the Pitt at the back of Mall of Asia and drunk a lot. We meet JC the lead vocals of the Filtered Band. He’s cute and accommodating and we had a lot of fun.

While at the NAIA and during my travel to Bahrain (I flew with GF MNL-BAH-DMM), a lot of OFWs on flight talked about their contract and their jobs abroad. Most of those who boarded the plane are working in the Middle East and in Europe. Most of them like me are happy about our situation abroad. There were no talks about global financial crisis and that kind of stuff. OFWs are more worried about their lost income while they took their vacation.

The OFWs should not worry about economic downturn especially if they’re based in the Middle East. Often overlooked but the Middle East has the most stable economy in the world. Although most of the countries in the GCC have diversified into post oil industries, oil is still pumping money into their economy. OFWs should not feel insecure about their jobs. If you’re in the Gulf, you’re very safe.

The Philippine economy will slow down according to NEDA but won’t fall.

No comments: