21 October 2008

Iloilo City Hall to be moved to Mandurriao

A report says that the City Council is eying the old Iloilo Airport to be the new seat of the City Government. Mayor Jerry Treñas indicated that he favored the moved to Mandurriao as there’s more room for development. There are few objections coming from the Philippine Retailers Association. They argued that once the City Hall is moved to Mandurriao, small businesses in Calle Real will be put in danger of closing down.

Calle Real has a very soft spot in my heart. It is where my friends and I nurtured our friendship. I remember walking and buying most of my stuffs at school when I was still studying at Sun Yat Sen High school. For the information of my non Ilonggo readers, Calle Real covers the Streets of JM Basa, Aldeguer, Iznart, Guanco and a portion of Ledesma.

In my opinion, Mayor Treñas should push through with the move. Iloilo City is a first class city and should think of the long term projects that would benefit its people. The present City Hall is dilapidated and doesn’t help much in the image that we want to project in the outside world. To move forward, we need to embrace the new things in order for us to achieve our goal of being “The next big thing”.

3 comments:

Nebz said...

Nasa bakasyon kb? Parang tagal mong walang post a. Wala tuloy akong makabuluhang mabasa...hehe.

braggito said...

Hello Nebz! thanks for dropping a line... mejo busy la ng sa work.. ha ha ha..walang time to update my blog.. inshallah next week pag lumayas na ang mga consultants namin.. :) Take care.

RJ said...

Wow! taga-Iloilo po pala kayo.

My grandies were originally residents of Dingle and Pututan, Iloilo. Nag-migrate sila sa North Cotabato last 1938. Long story but cool!

I can speak Karay-a, its our dialect at home. I love Ilonggo foods [la-uya, nila-ga siki ka baboy nga may monggo, yellow valenciana, humba, biscocho, etc!] as well. My Lolo was very strict with our Karay-a grammar, especially the past and future tenses. I would usually say, "Waay pa malabhan ang bayo ko," and he would say, "Waay pa malabhi...! Ang malabhan tana past ten (yes that's how he pronounce it, ten)daen da!" Hahahaha!

I've never been to Iloilo, though. Hope I could visit my 'roots' in the future! [I stand 6'0, ako lang ang taga Pututan nga taas!]