03 August 2011

Ramadan Kareem!!!

Ramadan Kareem!!! My greeting is three days too late but what the heck, it’s still Ramadan and according to the hijri calendar it’ll last for 29 days. I love Ramadan because it’s the only time of the year where you’ll not be stressed. During Ramadan there are no phone calls, no work and no nothing. The office is at a standstill. Everyone is so kind, and they’ll share everything.

It’s like Christmas for Christians but the positive side with Ramadan is that it’s not so commercialized. People fast, pray and sacrifice. It’s still maintained the spirituality of the occasion.

I love Ramadan because I can go home early, as early as 3:30 P.M. I have nothing to do at home but I just love it when I arrive home early. It’s also the only time where I can concentrate on stuff and activities that makes me healthy. I can jog earlier too and I get to meet a lot of new people. Most of the shops give discounts so it’s the best time of the year to do the shopping.

On a serious note, Ramadan should be our time to reflect and meditate. I’m saying this not only for Muslims but also for non-Muslims. It’s an opportunity for us to think of the good and not so good things we did last year and do penance for them. It is never too late to ask God for forgiveness. Coming from a near death experience last year made me think through a lot of things. Material things do not matter anymore in death. You’ll think of your family and friends and the people who touch your life. You shouldn’t miss out on that.

So before I become too preachy, let me once again greet you all Ramadan Mubarak!

No comments: