01 April 2009

Nation of Servants

Filipinos are outraged by the ‘Nation of Servants’ that the Chip Tsao, Chinese National wrote in the Hong Kong daily but before becoming emotional, we should ask ourselves first why the writer wrote that. As an OFW myself, I already swallowed my pride the moment I decided that I want to work abroad. If we ask all OFWs around the world, the reason why they leave the country is to give a better life to their families. I really don’t like that the issue becomes a political one and opposition senators even went out of their way to blame the ‘Nation of Servants’ label to PGMA. It’s true that the president promote employment abroad but who can blame her when there’s no way that she can provide employment to all of those people in her country.

Believe it or not, we are a ‘Nation of Servants’. However, we’re a nation of Doctors, Nurses, Engineers and Teachers as well. If the columnist wrote that we’re a ‘Nation of Nurses’, would it attract this negative comment from Filipinos all over the world? I bet it won’t.

No comments: