28 January 2009

Happy Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year is one of the most celebrated events in the City of Iloilo. The city did not celebrate it this year since the celebration falls during the Dinagyang Festival. Chinese Schools such as Chinese Commercial, Santa Maria and Sun Yat Sen (my alma Mater) prepare cultural shows for the Ilonggo people. There are Dragon Dances which forms part of the traditional Chinese New year. The Iloilo Hotel and Restaurant Association also held food festival for the event.

My family is partly Chinese but we do not celebrate the Chinese New Year. We’re 100% culturally assimilated and we feel more Filipino than the naturally born Filipinos. My great grandies had to fake several papers and bribe several government officials for us to be declared Filipinos though.

According to Chinese Lunar Calendar, this is the OX. It says that the year of the ox is not a financially optimistic year. People should be careful in putting money into high risk investments. It’s a general prediction since we all know that the whole world is now suffering recession. I was born on the year of the snake and my zodiac says that I’m not lucky this year but my lucky stars (Creative, Treasure and Promotion) counters that.
I may not really believe what my zodiac says but it still feels good to hear positive things. Self proclaimed psychics, astrologers and Fung Shui experts have this disclaimer that says ‘You make your own fate’. We make our own fate and destiny. If we will not work hard, we will not achieve the success that our stars had promised.

No comments: