18 August 2008

ICPD tightly monitors Frat recruitments

I promised myself that I will start writing about the happening in Iloilo. I’ve hesitated to write at first since I’ve been gone for almost 8 years and the news that I gather are not first hand.

Anyway, there’s a report that the Iloilo City Police District is monitoring the fraternity recruitment in the city. It’s ICPDs response to frat clashes in the City in the recent weeks. The director also said that they will not hesitate to arrest frat members who are involve in the brawl.

Youngsters join the fraternities for several reasons. The selling points of most of the fraternities would be brotherhood / sisterhood. They usually recruit obedient sons / daughters from the far flung towns who new to the city / university. They are lonely and have hard time adjusting to their new environment. Frat leaders would promise campus recognition or popularity to name the few. After that the prospective frat member will go through initiation process like embarrassing himself in the public (e.g. guys wearing ladies bistida in the campus) and going through physical pains (paddling). If you won’t die in the initiation process, you’ll be their brother/sister. Most of the fraternities have Greek alphabet as their names (e.g. Tau Gama, Delta Rhu, etc.).

It never occurred to me to join fraternity while I was in college. I have low tolerance in going through excruciating pain (very coward). I also don’t need affirmation as my friends in the university are influential and known. I was also too busy in my part time job in the food service industry.

I salute the head of the ICPD for initiating the move to curtail violence in the city and the school campuses. It’s the prime responsibility of the police and the university to restore order. However, the parents should also be involved in protecting their children. More often than not, parents are the last people to know that their children are involved in frat violence.

No comments: