05 February 2008

World Speaks Out on US elections



I am a migrant worker from the Philippines and currently reside and work in Saudi Arabia.
The Philippines is a traditional ally of the US. Our country, a Third World country, for decades has been dependent on US aid, particularly military equipment.

Our government is hostage to the US since we cannot change our foreign policy - such as establishing closer relations with other nations that America considers as enemy - or we risk losing US aid.

Aside from the aid, we could also face economic sanctions and it would mean economic collapse as the US is our number one trade partner.

I see no difference in whoever wins the US presidential race. The US has changed leadership for decades yet there is no change in their policy towards their Third World country allies.
For me it is a close call between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton for the Democrats and John McCain and Mitt Romney for the Republicans.

I personally want a candidate from the Democratic Party to win this year's presidential election; I prefer Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama as she is more experienced.
The Republicans are too conservative and I doubt if a new Republican president would dare to change their foreign policy.

I do not think that the US elections will affect my life directly. The results may affect my country and Saudi Arabia, where I work, but not me. However, the devaluation of the US dollar has affected the economies of so many countries and the Philippine peso is at an all time high.
The downside of the rising peso is that migrant workers' earnings are reduced.



The Saudi Arabian riyal is a fixed currency so the declining rate of dollars does not affect the Saudi Arabian economy. With the rising oil prices at $100 per barrel, it will only make Saudi Arabia richer.

Everyone in the US wants change. It would be a breather if a Democratic president is elected. However, a 360-degree change in US foreign policy is maybe too idealistic.

Ian / Philippines & Saudi Arabia

--oo0oo--

This is the piece I did for Al Jazeera English Website. Sarah Brown of Al Jazeerah asked me to write this piece for the Super Duper Tuesday. Sarah told me in her email to me that this piece is the forth most viewed page on 5 Feb 2008. Published on Al Jazeera Website 5 Feb 2008 "World Speaks Out on US Elections.



Al Jazeera Link: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/ACF81E00-4EFB-4F0A-A88C-8E8011B3FC71.htm

EONS Link: http://www.eons.com/groups/topic/615718

THE CORNER REPORT Link: http://www.thecornerreport.com/index.php?title=world_speaks_out_on_us_elections_1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

INDIA DISCUSSION FORUM: http://www.india-forum.com/forums/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=20&t=2052

ZIMBIO.COM LINK: http://www.zimbio.com/Somalia/articles/20/World+speaks+out+elections

No comments: